No. 9/7 UT Women’s Basketball falls late to No. 1/1 UConn in front of record-setting crowd, 75-71

Filed under: Sports,UT Women's Basketball |

Junior forward Jatarie White recorded a team-high 18 points on 8-of-12 shooting. – Junior forward Jatarie White led the Longhorns with a team-high 18 points, but No. 9/7 Texas Women’s Basketball fell late to No. 1/1 UConn on Monday night in front of a record-setting crowd of 11,877 at the Frank Erwin Center, the 12th-largest attendance in school history.

Ariel Atkins (23). Photo by

White was 8-of-12 from the field and brought down six rebounds. Senior guards Ariel Atkins and Brooke McCartycontributed 14 points each, with McCarty dishing out a team-high five assists.

Junior guard Lashann Higgs added 13 points and senior forward Audrey-Ann Caron-Goudreau had a team-high 11 rebounds, along with seven points in 25 minutes of action.

Texas sprinted out to an early eight-point (18-10) lead after Atkins and McCarty knocked down back-to-back 3-pointers with 4:28 remaining in the first quarter. UConn used a 9-2 run over the final three minutes of the quarter to trim the Longhorn lead to 24-21 heading into the second period.

White connected from close-range to put the Longhorns ahead 28-23 at the 8:42 mark. Texas was held scoreless for a four-minute stretch as the Huskies grabbed their second lead of the contest at 29-28. UT answered with nine-straight to regain an eight-point (37-29) advantage with 2:13 to play in the half. The Huskies used their own run of 10-1 in the final two minutes to take the lead as Texas went to the break trailing by one (39-38).

The Longhorns were led by a balanced scoring attack in the first half with McCarty, White, Higgs and Atkins all finishing with eight points. Texas forced the Huskies into nine turnovers and out-rebounded UConn by a 21-15 margin in the first half.

A 6-0 run by the Longhorns in just under a minute gave UT a 50-45 lead at the 6:40 mark in the third quarter, but UConn responded once again, rattling off nine-straight as Texas trailed by four (54-50) with 4:37 remaining. The Longhorns faced a 61-55 deficit at the end of three after a McCarty heave at the buzzer bounced off the back of the rim.

Texas opened the final period with a 7-0 run, fueled by five points from Higgs, to regain a one-point advantage (62-61). Back-to-back Husky buckets put UConn on top 69-64 with five minutes remaining in regulation. Atkins knocked down a deep two to bring the Longhorns within 69-68 at the 4:01 mark.

The Huskies had the ball with a minute remaining, but White blocked a UConn shot attempt as Texas called a timeout with 40.5 seconds to play in the contest. The Longhorns came up short on a jumper with 30 seconds on the clock as UT was forced to foul. The Huskies missed a pair from the charity line with 15 seconds and Caron-Goudreau hit 1-of-2 from the charity stripe after being fouled on the opposite end. UConn extended the lead back to four (75-71) with two free throws, icing the game as Texas missed a shot at the buzzer.

UT committed a season-low (nine) in turnovers and outscored the Huskies in second chance points by a 16-9 margin.

Junior forward Katie Lou Samuelson led the Huskies with 19 points.

Texas will return to Big 12 action to face Texas Tech in Lubbock on Saturday, January 20. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m. CT, and the game will be televised by FSN and broadcast on 105.3 FM in Austin or at

Box Score