DENTON — Louisiana Tech used a 12-2 run in the final five minutes of the game to take a 72-65 victory against the North Texas women’s basketball team on Saturday afternoon in the Super Pit.
In a closely-contested match that featured 17 lead changes and 11 ties, neither team led by more than four points until the Lady Techsters’ late run.
“I thought we had our chances to build on our momentum,” said North Texas head coach Jalie Mitchell. “I did not like our fouls and putting them on the line in that stretch.”
The Lady Techsters scored 22 points from the free-throw line, including a 9-for-9 performance in the fourth quarter. The Mean Green forced 21 LA Tech turnovers, but were hurt by their own 20 turnovers.
“I thought the fouling and the turnovers hurt us today,” said Mitchell.
Trailing by just one point entering the fourth quarter, North Texas went on a 9-6 run to take a 57-53 advantage following a Candice Adams’ 3-pointer and a Micayla Buckner jumper with 5:34 left in the game.
Adams had another stellar game, tying a career high with 18 points on six 3-pointers, which is a personal best.
The Mean Green’s shooting went cold for the next two minutes as the Lady Techsters went on a 9-0 run, capped by a 3-pointer by Anna McCleod, 62-57. After a basket by Terriell Bradley, Daria McCutcheon closed out the 12-2 run with a 3-point play, which was aided by Bradley’s fifth foul of the game.
Bradley, the team’s leading scorer, missed the final two minutes of the game after fouling out.
North Texas fought back, closing the gap to two points, 65-63, following Adams’ sixth 3-pointer with 1:50 left on the clock. McCleod responded with a 3-pointer of her own to seal LA Tech’s win.
The Mean Green had a few looks in the final minute but were unable to sink the shots.
• The Mean Green take to the road for the three games, beginning with a trip to Charlotte, N.C. to face Charlotte on Thursday, Jan. 26.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• The Mean Green went with the same starting lineup for the second straight game.
• North Texas is now 0-10 in the series against Louisiana Tech.
• Candice Adams made her team-leading 37th 3-pointer in tonight’s game. She has now made a 3-pointer in 18 consecutive games played. She has made 13 in her last three games.
• Terra Ellison tied a career high with 19 points. She recorded her 28th career double-digit outing. She also pulled down seven rebounds.
• Terriell Bradley scored her fourth straight game in double-figures and her 11th game this season. This is also her fourth-straight game scoring at least 15-plus points. She fouled out in the fourth quarter, finishing with 19 points.