DBU Patriots Fall in Overtime to Hilltoppers, 91-90

Filed under: Sports |

photo provided by dbupatriots.com

Jordan McGowen continued his outstanding play Monday night in Austin against St. Edward’s, Nick Fox hit a jumper with one second to play in regulation to tie the game at 78, and the Patriots never trailed in overtime – until there was under a second left to play. All of that combined for a 91-90 loss to the Hilltoppers and dropped the Patriot conference record to 5-4 and their overall record to 14-9.

DBU trailed at the half, 41-36, after allowing SEU to shoot 53.3% and being held to 9 of 21 shooting from the field. Their 14 of 14 performance at the free throw line kept them in the game but SEU scored the first five points of the second half to push their lead to 10. That lead grew to 13 at one point but DBU began a steady comeback at the 12:00 mark and were able to take a short-lived lead at 69-68 with 4::49 left to play. The Armie Lewis three pointer that gave them the lead led to an exchange of baskets and the game was tied with 11 seconds left to play in regulation. A Khaliq Gross jumper in the paint gave St. Edward’s a two point lead with three seconds left but DBU was able to hurry the ball down the court and Fox tied the game with a jumper of his own with one second left. That basket accounted for two of his 16 points on the night and moved the game to overtime – the first time DBU has seen extra time in 2012.

DBU seemingly had control of overtime, leading by as many as six on two different occasions including for the final time with just over two minutes to play. The Patriots missed their next three shots at the basket, though,  until a TJ Clark free throw gave them a two point lead with 23 seconds remaining in the game. Gross scored quickly for SEU to tie the game with 17 seconds left and, with nine seconds to go, McGowen calmly sank two free throws after being fouled to put the Patriots ahead. Gross missed his attempt to tie the game on the other end in the waning seconds but Shimeek Johnson was able to grab the offensive rebound through a throng of Patriots and McGowen was called for a foul on the ensuing putback – a putback that found its way into the basket. Johnson sank the plus-one free throw and with under a second left to play, a Lewis desperation heave at the buzzer was blocked.

McGowen led the Patriots with 18 points and nine rebounds while Wesley Gipson added 17 points in his 27 minutes. Lewis finished the game with a season-high 15 points and also picked up five steals on the night. TJ Clark rounded out the double-digit scorers with 11 and six rebounds.

The Patriots will not play again until February 16 when they welcome St. Mary’s to Dallas to begin a stretch of five games in 10 days. That game is slated to begin at 7:00 pm.